Monday, August 22, 2011

We've Come So Far...

What a long strange trip it's been...

Entry 10

It's 7:34am as I start to write this. I'll get everyone up in an hour and get them to the airport. BffC hasn't been feeling well, so I hope the trip will go okay and their returning to Ohio will be an almost effortless trip.

As I sit here with Mads sleeping near me and my cat curled up at my feet... Gman is in with BffC and everything in the house is quiet, I realize as much as I love the idea of things being back in some sort of order in my life, I'll miss the laughter and joy of a full house. I won't miss the Legos *everywhere* or the bickering over who gets to pester the cat, and I certainly won't miss the "QUIT TOUCHING ME's" of your typical 11 and 7 year old sister brother drama... but there is something wonderful about 'family' and this trip has certainly been about family.

A little recap of the winding down of the trip. On Wednesday the troops went to Deception Pass. We had a wonderful time just looking at rocks! The kids took bags so they could take their rocks with them. I weighed their luggage last night... 47.3 pounds! *whew* just under 50! lol
Gman by the bridge.
Mads looking for rocks
Enjoying the sun at the rocky beach.

We spent the rest of the day driving around Whidbey Island and took the ferry back to the mainland. 

Thursday we spent relaxing and swimming at the pool and I made brisket. 
Gman at pool.

The brisket you *know* you wish you were here to eat made on the Big Green Egg!


Friday I took Nix to the airport to head home and it was down to just the four of us. Not an extremely eventful day either. BffC needed some down time and so did I. Saturday was crazy busy!

First? A trip with their godfather to Pike's Place Market. I'd share lots of pics but I gave my goddaughter ONE job - 'please take pics for the blog' and she took ONE picture. Of an elephant car wash sign. So here is the photo of Pike's Place Market you get:

So... I took back my camera when we all met up again at ROLLER DERBY! Banked Track no less! Tilted Thunder Roller Derby Championship Bout... Four Teams duked it out: Sugar Skulls, Rolling Blackouts, Royal Crush and St. Hellions. It was great fun... although BffC was starting to get really tired by the end of the last bout. Here are some pics I took at the game:

Grant eating the bottomless popcorn basket. He tested that theory for sure!

Mads intently watching the game for pointers. We just might see her on the track next year!

BffC wasn't feeling good on Sunday, but a good friend of mine and Dressage trainer,  brought out "Sam" - one of the nicest horses ever to give the kids their first 'real' experience on a horse - they both did an amazing job... Sam was extremely patient and kind. 

First they had to brush down Sam to make sure all the dust was off of him from being outside. It can get under the saddle and irritate the horse if he is too dusty!
Mads and Gman each got an opportunity to clean the shoes on the horse to remove the mud and rocks.
Sam was gentle and calm while each one got their turn riding. Chelsea and Ralph were also patient! The kids both had a wonderful time getting to ride and even rode the horse at a trot!
Mads

Gman.

It was a wonderful way to end our trip! There are many closing thoughts I could ponder, but I think it is enough to say that this is a trip none of us will forget any time soon. (We probably won't repeat it anytime soon either *lol*).

I believe the intent was to spend time together, love each other and connect. And without a doubt? We accomplished what we started out to do!

Thank you again, all of you who loved us and supported us both financially and emotionally. You made the magic happen, not Disney *smile*.

Happy Trails,

MaryKate










No comments:

Post a Comment