Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Big Day...

Off to Pick up the RV

Entry 3


First? Shout out to Carol! Another Adventurer sharing in the craziness that is this cross country trip! Thank you so much for contributing! Every penny helps!

Now on to today's leg of the journey. Nikki and I will be leaving sometime around noon to head to Cincinnati to pick up the gas monster... I mean the RV... After serious contemplation, I decided in the end *not* to buy a used one and just go with the rental. It is more expensive and I suspect if I did actually buy one, I would be happy with it. But right now I think, for me, if I wanted to buy one, I would choose a smaller one than what we need for this trip. With three of us gals (none of us tiny), the wheelchair, the walker and two kids? A nice, small Toyota or newer 19' RV isn't going to work. Plus? I gotta get through *this* trip before I go thinking about another one.

But I must admit, there is something dreamy about the idea of jumping in my small RV, driving to the ocean and doing some writing. Used ones are pretty reasonably priced...

In the meantime, it's a packing frenzy here. Well, it's 9:37am - no one is moving but me, but I am sure by NOON it will be a packing frenzy here. *laughter* The nicest thing about this trip is that we are taking things slowly and simply. We have a LOT of places we want to go and no absolutes except the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas.

Our extremely tentative route goes something like this:

Columbus
St. Louis - Children's Museum
Branson - John Denver or Neil Diamond Tribute. Not 100% sure about this - this stop might get nixed.
Santa Fe
Sedona
Grand Canyon
Las Vegas - not sure when, but likely we're going to be staying at the Golden Nugget or CircusCircus
Legoland
Disneyland - I'm not sure about this...  C *really* wants to go, I *really* don't.
Redwoods National Park
Portland
Seattle - Pike Place, Tilted Thunder Roller Derby Championship and maybe whale watching!

I foresee having to alter this trip a bit, but that's the tentative plan right now. We have 14 days and over 5K miles to travel, with 11 different things we want to do. I'd say several items are getting kicked to the roadside curb!

So, I'm off to pick up the RV today and we are planning on leaving either tonight or early tomorrow morning. Tomorrow's blog will have pics of us heading down the highway.

I find at times I'm super excited about this trip, and at times? I am super anxious. Luckily, C and I are very similar in that we both know, it's about the journey and not the destination.

Happy Trails!

MaryKate

1 comment:

  1. Pleaseplease let me know once you have a better idea about Vegas! After all I need to buy the tickets for "Thunder From Down Under" for you, Nicki and Candace! LOL

    ReplyDelete