Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Two for the Price of One...

So much to tell, so little sleep to tell it...

Entry 7

This entry is a double feature. It covers Tuesday *and* Wednesday, August 9th and 10th and it covers, OK, TX, NM and AZ!

First, as I try to do when we have Adventurers donate to our cause, we'd like to thank Teri for her kind-hearted and wonderful gift. Thank you for supporting our trek. Much love to you!

Now? On to two days worth of bloggin:

So. Tired. That is the best way to start this blog. Yesterday we drove 13 hours from our prison, I mean our hotel in Clinton, OK, to Gallup, NM. I would tell you about Myrtle (the new name for the RV in homage to Moaning Myrtle from Harry Potter) and the fridge breaking... and the fact that she eats CD's, doesn't play them and doesn't spit them out either, but I think you have all heard enough about my issues with Myrtle. I have been informed that as long as Myrtle doesn't have a *mechanical* failure, I can not get another RV. Period. That's when I simply gave both Elizabeth and Lucas - the two cruiseamerica help desk people (who I realize are just following the policy of a company with little customer consideration) a gypsy woman curse. I felt bad afterwords because seriously... I was upset and crying. And they were towing the party line. So... yeah. They both better hope nothing happens to me, my godchildren or my friends on this trip. Just sayin'. I also learned that cruiseamerica will not reimburse me for *any* of the hotel or meal expenses I incurred while Myrtle was broken down in Clinton, OK. That's $700 worth of hotel and food and supplies I will never see again. While it is true, we would have still had expenses for those 2 nights and three days of being stranded, we would be much farther along on our trip. I would like to say, however, that they would be glad to add 'free' days on to the end of our trip (more mileage at .32 a mile, that's only *good* for them). *sigh* If it weren't for the good stories we got out of it... the locust invasion followed THE NEXT day by a cricket invasion... not to mention the guts of the roof of the Ramada Inn hanging forlornly as we pulled out of the driveway... I'd be way more upset about it all. But it is grace that got me started on this trip and grace that will get me to Seattle.

So enough about that. Let's see some pics. We stopped in Texas to get a steak after leaving Oklahoma. I was informed not to bother with a steak once we got west of Texas. So we stopped here:

That's right, The Big Texan: it was a treasure trove of good photo ops to embarrass the children for the rest of their lives. Awesomeness:

That's right. A free 72oz steak. But you have to eat the salad, the roll, baked potato and shrimp cocktail not to mention the HUGE plate of meat and the drink in 60 minutes to get it for free. While we were there someone took on the challenge:

All I know? Is that it was a LOT of dead cow. And I LIKE steak.
One more embarrassing pic - I love Gman's face in this one:

Then we pushed on through Texas toward our goal of Gallup, NM. Texas can be quite beautiful, but honestly? There is a LOT of nothing moments as shown by Mads finally getting to hold her 'tumbling tumbleweed':


After 13 long hours of travel, we made it to Gallup, New Mexico. I have decided New Mexico is an amazingly beautiful state:


 We arrived late to our campgrounds: USARV Park in Gallup, NM. A friend of mine asked me to post this:


Because a friend asked me for this, this is the 'Gallup pole'. Snicker snicker snicker. That's right folks I'm here all week!

The campground was clean and the showers great, but the beds in the cabin not so comfortable. None of us ended up getting very good sleep. Which led to a bit of grumpiness all around. However... we kept moving moving moving... and got up early, had some awesome Huevos Rancheros, refilled the cooler with ice (fridge still not working) and headed to our destination of Sedona.

Little did we expect we would have an incredible side trip along the way. 

Bffc had some pain today (due to the fantastic bed she had last night) and she ended up sleeping a bit in the back of Myrtle. While driving, I saw a sign for Walnut Canyon and we decided to check it out on our way to Sedona. When we arrived, this is what we saw:

The native people of Walnut Canyon *lived* in these canyon walls and dug them out to make their homes! Even in the winter when it was snowy and icy, they climbed up and down the walls of the canyon! I can barely even imagine it considering they didn't wear shoes! Here is Gman in one of the 'homes' that still survive!

All I know? Is someone told me it was 200 steps down. When I reached 300 straight down? I stopped. Gman and Mads continued down about another 80 steps. Then trudged back up to find me and we slowly progressed back UP those 300 steps to the main overlook. Wow. Nothing like 600 steps in the hot sun and then driving 5 more hours! woohoo! 

We took the exit marked "Sedona 89A" and started down. It was about a 2000 foot drop through windy roads. I wish I had better pics of the trip down... Myrtle was very good about it, but truth be told? I am kind of anxious about the trip back up those 2000 feet! Myrtle doen't like anything that is too strenuous you know. Clearly she takes after the women and one boy on this trip.
Not exactly an easy trip with Myrtle, but we all made it safe and sound. Yay for lower gears and the 'towing' button! I hardly had to use the breaks except when I was making the crazy hairpin turns! 

We finally made it to Sedona and got a room at The Matterhorn Inn - we have a lovely ground floor room with two beds. Gman, BffC and Nix stayed in the hotel and Mads and I are out in the RV. We plugged it into the hotel room so we have AC and all is well.

Now it is time for me to crash... Tomorrow, we have a jeep tour of Sedona and then we are on our way to the Grand Canyon. Very full day tomorrow! More pics and I'm sure more stories to be posted when I get some time in the next 24! We pretty much have no idea where we are going to end up in the evening on the 11th, so the adventure continues...

We all had a great day today and even though bffC had some break through pain, tonight she's in a super comfy bed and we are all getting some much needed rest so we can pack in a full day of cool stuff tomorrow.

I love Sedona, I will post more pics when I write the next blog. Sedona's really lovely. Maybe a little 'far out' for me, but as in all the places we've been we've met some wonderful people so far! Can't wait for sunrise. We have to all be moving by 8:45 as our tour starts at 9!

Happy Trails,

MaryKate











4 comments:

  1. Well, I think that I may just call that RV company, and tell them that I have some friends that are very unsatisfied (no names mentioned of course)and that I, and a few other friends were thinking of renting a BUNCH of RV's but I will go with a different company due to thier disconcern for my friends that are currently on an RV adventure... Anyway, I hope that you all are enjoying seeing all of the beauty that God has created out there in your quest to have peace for a moment.... The Grand Canyon is the place that I would Love to see... Maybe some day I will have the opportunity to do so!!! Tell my Lovely friend Candace that I hope that she is Not in too much pain, and that she is having the time of her life, and the same goes for you also!!! Bye Girls... I will check out the Blog this evening when I return home from my own little adventure NOT too far from home... LOL .. :o) :o) :o) :o) <3 >3 <3 Love Johnny Clark

    ReplyDelete
  2. MK - you should add a paypal 'donate' button to your blog. Then when your dear readers are inspired in the moment, there is a simple means to provide the support! :) I'd click it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LWK... I took your advice and added a 'paypal donate' button! I don't know why I didn't do that sooner! yay! and Johnny, thanks for your support on our trip! We're trekking along... little by little! bffC is doing great today and we're ready to get going on our next adventure!

    <3
    MaryKate

    ReplyDelete